Market Street Bridge – Wilkes-Barre, PA
Through an Act of the Pennsylvania Legislature, the Wilkes-Barre Bridge company was tasked to solicit shares for the construction of the first Market Street Bridge crossing the Susquehanna River. Shareholders of the company met on May 15, 1816 at the courthouse and then later on Public Square.They elected Matthias Hollenback president and Jacob Cist treasurer. The Wilkes-Barre Bridge Company’s first board of managers consisted of James Barnes, Henry Buckingham, George Chahoon, Elias Hoyt, Joseph Sinton and Stephen Tuttle. Serving as Secretary was Benjamin Perry.
The original plans for the bridge were made in 1816 and the project was completed in 1820. The Market Street Bridge was replaced three times to accommodate the changes in transportation and growing population. The second bridge was completed around 1855 and was later replaced by a steel bridge in 1892. It wasn’t until 1928 that the latest bridge would be constructed and open to the…
View original post 212 more words